Philly First Home Grant Program
Homebuyer Assistance Grant
The City of Philadelphia wants you to be a successful homeowner by rolling out Philly First Home Program! It is a grant helping first time homebuyers purchase a home in the city. We are here to make your life easier. We know how hard it is when you’re trying to get a mortgage, and we want that process to be faster, easier and cheaper!
The grant of up to $10,000 (or 6% of the home’s purchase price, whichever is lower) is to assist first-time homebuyers reduce the principal, cover down payment and loan closing costs.
To be eligible for Philly First Home Program, you must complete a FREE City-funded homeownership counseling program before you sign an Agreement of Sale. Homeownership counseling successfully prepares borrowers for this big life decision. In homeownership counseling, you will learn about:
- Purchasing a home within your budget
- Avoiding dangerous mortgages
- Rights and responsibilities of homeowners
- Mortgage application/purchase processes
- Improving credit, credit repair and credit maintenance
- Money management
- Home maintenance
- Avoiding foreclosure
- Deeds and other legal housing documents
What type of property is eligible?
The property must be a single-family home or duplex located in Philadelphia (no condominiums).
Who is eligible?
- You must be a first-time buyer*
- You must complete one-on-one homeownership counseling through a City-funded housing counseling agency before signing an Agreement of Sale.
- Agreement of sale must be signed by homebuyer and seller on or after May 2nd, 2022.
- You must be income eligible (see chart).
How Do I Apply for the Philly First Home Program?
Contact a City-funded housing counseling agency. They will need:
- Total annual family income
- Source of that income (employment, SSI, DPA, etc.)
- Number of family members who will live in the house
Give us a call if you are a first time homebuyer looking for help with first time homebuyer grant options.
Income is calculated using gross income for all members of the family who will live in the home.